My counterfeit Thai Baht. King Rama V One Baht. 1908
Obverse head of the coin King Rama In military uniform. Reverse the mystical white Elephant Erawan. It is estimated that about 10,000 pieces were distributed, the remainder were probably melted.
The coins were distributed at the Royal Cremation of King Rama V with nobility of higher status being given the Royal Gift of the two coin case and nobility of lower status or public servants receiving the various single coin cases.
Nickname “Rein Nuat” -meaning moustache coin was designed by the French coin engraver, Sir Henri-Auguste Patey A.PATEY on the right-hand side just above King Rama V’s left shoulder at 4 o’clock. As you can see in the illustration, the counterfeit example (on top) has much thinner, sharper lettering than the authentic example. In addition, the P in PATEY is reversed on this counterfeit coin although this may not necessarily be the case on all counterfeit examples.
‘จุฬาลงกรณ์ สยามินทร์’, which translates to ‘Chulalongkorn, King of Siam’
Erawan is seal of Bangkok . ‘’หนึ่ง บาท’ for ‘one baht’, ‘สองสลึง’ for ‘two saleung’ or ‘หนึ่งสลึง’ for ‘one saleung’. On the top-left it is written ‘สยามรัฐ’ meaning ‘Siam’ and on the top-right the date is written, ’ร.ศ. ๑๒๗’ for the 127th year of the Rattanakosin Kingdom (1908), ’ร.ศ. ๑๒๗’ for the 128th year (1909) or ‘ร.ศ. ๑๒๙’ for the 129th year (1910).
The One Baht coin is 30 mm in size, weighs 15 grams and was struck from 90% silver and 10% copper.
- The Treasury Department, 2005. ‘King Rama V’. The Evolution of Thai Money. pp 83
- Restaurant Tajuddin – 8 Jln Hang Kasturi , Kuala Lumpur
- Anjappar Authentic Chettinad Restaurant, 6, Jalan Maarof, Bangsar Baru, 59100, KualaLumpur.
- Betel Leaf – Authentic Chettinad Cuisine, 77A Leboh Ampang, 50100 Kuala Lumpur.
- Hyderabad Biryani House Brickfields – just so so with plastic oil
- Lai Choon Bah Kut Teh (Klang) – bakuteh dry + soup
- Ah Her Bak Kut Teh – Jalan Chinniah (Pandamaran, Klang)
- Kedai makanan Seng Huat – under the bridge near KTM
- Mor Sang Kor Bah Kut Teh – 42 Jalan Bangau , Taman Berkeley
- Kedai Makanan Seng Huat (under the bridge/near KTM) – bowl type
- Restaurant Kee Heong ( Eng Ann Klang) both dry and soup
- Teluk Pulai Bah Kut Teh – 32 Jln Batai Laut 5 , Kaw 16 . Taman Intan
- Chow Kiat Bah Kut Teh – 18 Jalan Kapar Kawasan 18 Klang
- Weng Heong Bah Kut Teh – 28,30 Jalan 5 kaw 16 Taman Intan
- Cheong Foh (Klang & Bayu Perdana, Klang) – authentic kopi + toasted bread
- Chong Kok Kopitiam (Klang) –
- Kedai Kopi Taman Eng Ann (Klang) – Hainanese kopi + toasted bread